The Fred M. Jewell residence hall opened in the fall of 1968. Dr. Jewell, who taught at Blackburn from 1919 to 1924, is the inventor of the Jewell Biological Models. Best known as "Pop" Jewell to hundreds of students and alumni he befriended, he retained an active interest in Blackburn and its students for many years. Jewell Hall is designed to hold 104 students; wings are designated for men or for women according to housing needs. Complete restroom renovations were completed in 2001. In 1968, due to enrollment increases and an urgent need for more space for students, the College borrowed the construction funds, with the approval of the Board of Trustees, from the Endowment Fund.