Olin Science Building
John M. Olin financed the assembly of this building in memory of his father, Franklin W. Olin. Construction began in the fall of 1953. The majority of the work was completed by a Blackburn student workforce--except for a crew that was hired to man the ditch-digging machinery and a skilled welder was needed to weld the lally posts to hold the arches. More than 75,000 hours of student labor were tabulated before the building was dedicated on February 13, 1957. The newly renovated lecture hall contains state-of-the-art electronic teaching aids, data/communication ports at each seat, five individual laboratories, each with its own supply room a balance room, and a general supply room. Additionally, science faculty offices, and a 135-seat lecture room, and the Alumni Hall of Biology are located here.
Alumni Hall of Biology
Housed in this building are zoology and botany laboratories, lecture rooms, an animal room, three greenhouses, offices and storerooms. The lecture hall is also newly renovated and offers the newest data and instructional technologies. The larges single source of funds for this addition to the Olin Science Building was an alumni building fund. Students also constructed the building.
Both Olin and Alumni Halls, which are interconnected, are scheduled for complete renovation and expansion. Partial renovation was begun during the summer of 2003. The new wing will house most of the laboratories and faculty offices. he laboratories will be fitted with the most up-to-date equipment. Renovated areas will house a large vivarium, two modern lecture halls, a herbarium, assigned research rooms, and math and science teaching laboratories.