Construction began on Stoddard Hall for women in 1924 --the first residence hall built for students who lived on campus. The dorm was co-ed for a brief period in the 1950s. Stoddard is the oldest and largest dormitory on campus, housing 100 students. It was also the first building on campus constructed by students. Because the students' labor saved lots of money, it became a large selling point for the College; alumni and friends of Blackburn were more eager to donate money to the College when they saw the efficiency and success of the Work Program. Practically all of the building materials were donated, but financial gifts were received, too. The largest financial gift was donated by Sara Bell Stoddard, of Minonk, Illinois. The building was named to honor her and her late husband, Morgan Stoddard, whose portraits hang in Stoddard's parlor.